Champs-Élysées Paris, Place of Branded Products – The Avenue des Champs-Élysées is a street in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, France. It is 1.91 kilometres long and 70 metres wide, stretching between Place de la Concorde and Charles de Gaulle Square, where the Arc de Triomphe is located. This place is famous for its theatres, cafes and luxury boutiques. Also for the annual military parade on July 14th and as the end of the Tour de France race cycle. The overall construction of this site was built in 1670 and was inaugurated on March 2, 1864.
In French, it is also called Elysian Fields, a paradise for heroes who have fallen into Greek mythology. Today, the Champs-Élysées is widely regarded as one of the most recognizable roads in the world.
Description of the Champs-Élysées Paris
The road stretches for 1.91 km via the 8th arrondissement northwest of Paris, from Place de la Concorde in the east, with the Obelisk of Luxor, to Charles de Gaulle Square (formerly Place de l’Étoile) to the west, the location of the Arc de Triomphe. The Champs-Élysées is part of Axis’ history.
The lower part of the Champs-Élysées, from Place de la Concorde to Rond-Point, runs through the Champs-Élysées Garden, a park containing the Grand Palais, the Petit Palais, the Marigny Theatre and several restaurants, parks and monuments. The Élysée Palace – the official residence of the President of the French Republic – governs the park, but not on the avenue itself. The Champs-Élysées ended at the Arc de Triomphe, built to honour the victory of Napoleon Bonaparte. This place is one of Paris France tourist attractions top ten.
The History This Place
Until the reign of Louis XIV, the places where the Champs-Élysées operated were now mainly farms and vegetable gardens. The Champs-Élysées and its parks were originally developed in 1667 by André Le Nôtre in the extension of the Tuileries Park, the gardens of the Tuileries Palace, which had been built in 1564, which were then rebuilt by Le Nôtre in his own formal style, for Louis XIV in 1664. Le Nôtre has planned a wide walk between the palace and the modern Rond Point, flanked by two rows of elms on both sides, and flower beds in a symmetrical Style of French garden. This new boulevard is called “Grand Cours” or “Great Promenade”. It did not take the name Champs-Élysées until 1709.
In 1710, the road was extended beyond Rond-Pont to the place of modern Star. In 1765, the park was rebuilt in the manner of Le Nôtre by Abel François Poisson, Marquess of Marigny, brother of Madame de Pompadour and general manager of the king’s building. Marigny widened the road again in 1774 to the modern Jersey Gate.
By the end of the 18th century, the Champs-Élysées had become a fashionable street; the trees on both sides have grown sufficiently to form a rectangular garden (green cabinet). The parks of the noble houses of the city built along the suburb of Saint-Honoré were supported by French gardens. The largest private luxury house near the avenue is the Élysée Palace, the private residence of the aristocracy which, during the Third French Republic, became the official residence of the President of France.
After the French Revolution, two equestrian statues, made in 1745 by Nicolas and Guillaume Coustou, were moved from the former royal palace of Marly and placed at the beginning of the boulevard and the park. Once Napoleon fell and the restoration of the French monarchy, trees had to be replanted, as the occupying forces of Russia, Great Britain and Prussia for a hundred days camped in the park and used trees for firewood.
The road from Rond-Point to Star was built under the Empire. The Champs-Élysées themselves became the property of the city in 1828, and trails, fountains and, later, gas lamps were added.
Champs-Élysées Circa 1850
In 1834, under King Louis Philippe, the architect Mariano Ruiz de Chavez was commissioned to redevelop the Place de la Concorde and the Champs-Élysées park. He maintained the formal garden and flower beds, but turned the park into a kind of outdoor amusement park, with a summer garden café, the Summer Alcazar, two restaurants, Ledoyen and the Clock Restaurant; a theatre, Lacaze; Panorama, built in 1839, where great historical paintings are exhibited, and summer circus (1841), a large hall for popular theaters, musical performances and circuses. He also placed several ornamental fountains around the park, three of which still exist.
The main monument of the boulevard, the Arc de Triomphe, was commissioned by Napoleon after his victory at the Battle of Austerlitz, but was not completed when he fell from power in 1815. The monument remained incomplete until 1833-1836, when it was completed by King Louis Philippe.
In 1855, Emperor Napoleon III chose the park at the beginning of the road as the site of the first major international exhibition held in Paris, the Universal Exhibition. The park is the site of the Industrial Palace, a giant exhibition space that covers thirty thousand square meters, where the Grand Palais is currently located. In 1858, after the Exhibition, the prefect of the Emperor of Seine, Georges-Eugène Haussmann, transformed the gardens of the French gardens into beautiful English-style parks, based in a small town called Southport, with groves, flower beds and winding paths. The rows of elms, in poor health, have been replaced by rows of chestnut trees.
The park once again functioned as an exhibition site at the 1900 World’s Fair; it has become the home of the Grand Palais and the Petit Palais. It also became a new panoramic theatre house, designed by Gabriel Davioud, chief architect of Napoleon III, in 1858. The modern Marigny Theatre was built by Charles Garnier, architect of the Paris Opera, in 1883.
Throughout its history, the road has been the site of a military parade; the most famous was the victory parade of German troops in 1871 and 1940 again celebrated the fall of France on July 14, 1940, and the three most encouraging were the parades that celebrated the victory of the Allies in the First World War in 1919, and the parade of the French Forces and America liberated after the liberation of the city , the 2nd French Armoured Division on August 25, 1944 and the 28th U.S. Infantry Division on August 29, 1944.
Mps-Élysées and shops on the avenue
In 1860, merchants banded together to form the Champs-Élysées Initiative and Defence Union, a trade promotion association along the Avenue. In 1980, the group changed its name to the Champs-Élysées Committee and became the Champs-Élysées Committee in 2008. It is the oldest committee in Paris. The Committee has always been dedicated to finding public projects to enhance Avenue’s unique atmosphere, lobbying the authorities for long hours of work, and organizing special events.
Today, the committee, in coordination with other professional organizations, can review with the Paris administration the addition to the new Avenue of business whose floor surface will exceed 1000 square meters. The arrival of global store chains in recent years has changed its character and, initially to stem this change, the City of Paris (which has called this trend ”banalisation”) initially decided in 2007 to ban the Swedish clothing chain H-M from opening stores on the avenue; However, a department store opened two years later at 88 Champs-Élysées.
In 2008, the American clothing chain Abercrombie and Fitch was allowed to open a shop. The Champs Elysees has a medium-sized shopping centre, expanding the shopping area: Elysées 26 with Agatha jewelry and clothes L’Eclaireur, Galeries du Claridge with Annick Goutal, Fnac, Paul and Shark, jewels Arena des Champs Elysees with Starbucks. The list of fashion boutiques includes Banana Republic Abercrombie Fitch Gap Zara Levi’s H-M Lacoste Marks and Spencer Louis Vuitton Hugo Boss Petit Bateau1. The list of perfumeries includes Guerlain (Le 68 by Guy Martin), multi-Sephora brand Yves Rocher . Jewelry: Tiffany and Co Bookstore and music store: FNAC The list of car showrooms includes Citroen Renault Toyota Mercedes Peugeot .
Annual event at the Champs-Élysées
German troops marched on the Champs-Élysées after their victory in the Franco-Prussian War of 1871.
Every year, on 14 July, 14 July, Europe’s largest military parade passes on the Champs-Élysées, reviewed by the President of the Republic.
Every year, during Advent, Christmas and Epiphany, the Champs-Élysées Committee contributes to the holidays of the Champs-Élysées lighting season. This usually occurs from late November to early January.
Since 1975, the last stage of the Tour de France cycling has ended at the Champs-Élysées. The next awards ceremony was also held directly on the road.
Large meetings sometimes take place on the Champs-Élysées during celebrations of popular events, such as New Year’s Eve, or when France wins the FIFA World Cup in 1998 and 2018. The Champs-Élysées sometimes becomes a meeting place for major political events.
On April 20, 2017, a police officer was shot dead on the Champs-Élysées by an extremist and two other police officers were injured. They all sat in a police van parked when the attacker stopped in front of the van. The attacker attempted to shoot civilians (including tourists) and was immediately shot dead by other police officers at the scene. The shooting took place two days before the first round of voting in the 2017 French presidential election.
On June 19, 2017, a terrorist suspect drove a car loaded with ammunition to a police vehicle on the Champs-Élysées.
Public transport to the Champs-Élysées
Line 1 of the Paris metro passes under the Champs-Élysées. Charles de Gaulle Station – Star is at the western end of the road, and there are three stations with entrances to the road itself; from west to east: George V by the Hotel George-V, Franklin D.Roosevelt at the roundabout of the Champs-Élysées, Champs-Élysées – Clemenceau where Clemenceau and Concorde are at the southern end of the road, where the Place de la Concorde is located.
The main source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champs-Élysées